• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 8 months ago by sabana.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

  • Author

    Posts

  • February 21, 2016 at 6:34 pm #993830

    Hi everyone, I'm fairly new here but I've been reading for a while. I'm just blown away by the knowledge and expertise here.

    I came across a very old thread on CP + Ink, but it was closed, so I thought I might pick all your giant brains for a minute!

    Seems like most CP artists agree on inking first, for a variety of reasons. Makes sense, but I'm really interested in the viability of inking over CP.

    I did a small piece in Prismacolors recently (an eye), then went over it with a few different Microns. It was an absolute nightmare getting the ink down: a combination of a very light touch, constantly de-waxing with scrap paper, and layering the ink in many spots.

    In the end, I completely ruined a Micron 0.05 and 0.1 and a Staetdler Pagment liner 0.05. The nib became so clogged with wax that no amount of scribbling helped – I even tried heating the nibs and scraping with an Xacto but it was hopeless!

    Not surprising, of course, but once the ink had some time it actually set well and I rather like the outcome.

    Mostly for the purposes of experimentation, it's got me thinking… what are the possibilities with brushing ink over CP? I love my super fineliners (wish I could actually get a .1mm or 0.05mm), but it seems kind of hopeless. Unless there is some trick for bleeding/removing the wax from the nibs as I work?

    Does anybody out there ink over CP? Any weird tricks up your sleeves or just thoughts on ink + CP in general?

    Sorry for the rambling post, my imagination is wandering, I think I spend 80% of my art time experimenting rather than accomplishing much of anything. :clear:

    February 21, 2016 at 8:07 pm #1247156

    Just got a small set of prismacolor markers and faber-castel pitt pens. I don't really know a whole lot about them. The prismacolor markers you can use them like a blender and apply color at the same time. Prismacolor also has a pigment free marker they call a blender. They don't get clogged but you have to thoroughly clean them before you put the cap on or they will contaminate. Also if you have a really thick layer of pigment down the marker will lift the color if you work it very much.

    I also just tried some faber castel pitt pens over oil pencil and basically theyre so opaque it's like a totally different layer on top of the pencil. They don't seem to blend the pencil. I also used the pens over prismacolor marker and they clogged up pretty quick. Luckily I noticed and cleaned it out before disaster.

    Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
    oil and acrylic paintings..

    February 22, 2016 at 10:32 am #1247154

    I have put ink over colored pencil, but it has been a while I usually put the ink down first. I have a suggestion that you many not want to try but as I recall I found using an old fashioned dip pen with India Ink worked best, the nibs used for dip pens are much easier to clean if they get clogged, rubbing alcohol, should do it for either wax or oil based pencils.

    Another option would be to use a fine brush with India ink, just make sure you wash out the brush before the ink dries in it. Use a bit of liquid soap to get all of the ink out. But with the brush the ink will be on top of the colored pencil so I don't know how stable it will be long term.

    February 22, 2016 at 2:36 pm #1247155

    I use ink over cp in my children's drawings. I've never had a bit of problem with it- no problem with smudging on the pencil or clogging my Micron. I only outline areas with them or put details in. I use a .5 and 1.0 Micron. I don't use prismas. The example I've posted here is a wip- .5 Micron over Lyras and FC Polys. Hope this helps.

    Paula
    I'm not bad, I was just drawn that way. ;)

  • Author

    Posts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.